By Amanda Cross, Student at University of Central Arkansas
For the most part, unless you are going to a college close to home, one thing you are worried about is making new friends.
College is extremely different from high school, but making friends in college isn’t as hard as you might think. Here are some ways to make great friends in college:
1. Use Welcome Week to your advantage. During Welcome Week, you literally meet hundreds of people. You may have long conversations with some people but only introduce yourself to others. Use this crucial time to just meet as many people as possible. Some people may become lifelong friends. It’s nice to know a friendly face on campus, so just put yourself in as many different rooms as you can during Welcome Week.
2. Go to class. There are many different reasons why you should be doing this anyways, but class is a great way to meet people. The best part about meeting someone in a class is that you already have at least one thing in common: You are taking that class. The professor, the homework, the last test are all great conversation starters and ways to meet the people in your classes.
3. Go to RA programs. Throughout the year in your residence hall, your resident assistant and many other RAs in your building will host events. These programs can be anything from an ice cream social to a book club. RAs are always coming up with fun ways to create bonds in their residence hall, so check out the programs and don’t be afraid to go by yourself!
4. Get involved.Whether you want to join a sorority or just join a club, get involved in something! Getting involved is one of the easiest ways to meet people on campus. Start by going to a registered Student Organization Fair on your campus; they are generally held during the beginning of each semester. Find a club you’re passionate about and mingle with the people at the tables. Then go to a meeting and meet even more people just like you!
5. Play a sport. You don’t have to be at the collegiate level to join in. You can meet more people who like to play sports and represent their residence hall or club. If you are like me and are really clumsy, don’t worry! You can always go cheer on your team at a collegiate or intramural game.
Strive to introduce yourself to as many people as possible, and you’re bound to make a connection with someone and eventually make lifelong friends.